Wednesday, November 26, 2014

11-26-14


The Symphony

The eyes that have seen the
face of God, the eyes
that have turned away
to stare at wooden planks.

Those are the eyes of
a graveyard, a
tombstone snared in
the strangling embrace of ivy.

How tired this old man
looks. His body, a
coffin, carrying a spirit that
faded long ago.

When he meets my
gaze, I feel nothing
but pity and remorse.
My father. My captain.

His is a life I cannot take,
for he will never truly
die. His is a life destined
for doom and misery.

I think to my parents
and music. I think of
surging emotion
and love.

Never again will I know warm
embrace. Never again
will I see the snow
fall on Nantucket.

Never again will I
hear the cry of a child,
or smell fresh baked bread.
There is nothing left to do.

I have nothing more to say.

The birds are circling.

No comments:

Post a Comment